Thursday, December 10, 2009

Amherst Essay-Do I sound crazy?

''Art is man's constant effort to create for himself a different order of reality from that which he is given."



This was the quote I responded to for my Amherst essay. I'm a ballerina and I wrote about the freedom of performing. I have a history of depression and that is slightly touched upon in my essay. I was wondering if anyone would send me their e-mail and give me some feedback. I don't want to sound like a total nut case.



Thanks!



Amherst Essay-Do I sound crazy?concerts



I currently attend a school somewhat similar to Amherst (and have friends who attend A.) I also have a pretty significant history of depression.



I think the first topic/part of the essay is fantastic. However, being "honest" in your essay is a risky thing to do, no matter what school it is. Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes, well...it scares admissions officers off.



Is there a way to mention the sadness/related depression-isses, but downplay it? No matter what you decide to do, make it seem as if you have conquered it. There is a way to do this without being cliche in that "everything is rainbows and unicorns and sparkles" manner.



I ultimately didn't write about having depression at all because I felt like I was "lying," but we both know how insane college admissions are these days (my sister is a senior in high school.) The last think you want someone reading your essay to think is, "She sounds really talented...but could she be a liability?"



dog_on_wheels12@yahoo.com



P.S. I'm a creative writing major...if that gives me any credibility :)



Amherst Essay-Do I sound crazy?headache opera theater



No , It sounds fine to me ! ..Good luck ! Amherst is the easiest college to get into anyways ...You will do just fine ....! Good luck and hope this helps !

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd