Thursday, December 10, 2009

Even if I sang "Think of Me" with as much feeling as I could muster, would I be skipped ov

I am a soprano who has been singing and taking voice lessons for 5 years (since I was 9), and I am thinking about singing "Think of Me" from Phantom of the OPera for an audition for a small informal city youth arts camp. It doesn't really have to be anything special, though we were informed that we should try to make our selections emotional and with lots of feeling when we perform them. Even if I used all the expression I can in this song, will I be skipped over? Is this song considered too emotionless to leave an impression on the director of the camp (who will be judging us)? I'd like to hear your thoughts if you know the song.



Even if I sang "Think of Me" with as much feeling as I could muster, would I be skipped over at an audition?symphony



Go for it. It's an amazing song, and will sound great as long as you hit all the notes :) . Just make sure you think a great deal about subtext and body language. It works best if you can think of a situation which has nothing to do with the actual song; an objective you can achieve by the end - this will help to make you sound convincing. For example.... your boyfriend/best friend is about to leave (to Timbuktu or something :P), and you want to convince them not to - your objective for the end of the song would be to make him/her come back and hug you. You can also think of a more "practical" objective. Anyway, this will contribute to your body language as well, which will probably come to you automatically if you think of a strong subtext. In addition, make sure you breathe properly and have a strong focus.



Hope this helps :)



Even if I sang "Think of Me" with as much feeling as I could muster, would I be skipped over at an audition?performing arts center opera theater



it's a really great song.



it's like.......MAGNIFICENT.



i just thought it would be hard to sing, but if u can nail it, go FOR IT!



GOOD LUCK!
Yes it can b emotional. But might i suggest "Wishing you were somehow here again" It wouldstill show off you're voice but also display more emotion than the other one.
"Think of Me" is actually a very emotional song. It is the plea of one lover to another to remember them on good terms, remember all of the good things they had together rather than the bad things, the things they will never get to share. To sing it with passion and with sorrow at the same time is difficult and if you perform the song well then your camp director should be moved. The music of the Phantom is very moving, hence the reason it is one of the longest running musicals on Broadway. Good luck and I hope that you get the part.
that is a good song to sing. but i'll say the phantom tore it UP! he had the best songs. go for it, think of me is a great song, i love it. by the way, the movie sucked. michael crawford and sarah brightman, the best!!
Well, I like that song. It's got the right kind of theme at least if you're looking for something emotional. If you have enough confidence to sing it then it will be great.



If you're looking for other suggestions, I've always liked Les Miserables. 'I dreamed a dream' and 'Fantie's Death: Come to Me' are beautiful. Plus 'On My Own' can have lots of feeling.



Which ever way you go - break a leg!
DON'T worry about the feeling. That's just the frosting on the cake. Bake a good cake. I'm saying sing it correctly.



When it sounds perfect musically, the feeling kind of "creates" itself. Practice it enough that you can sing it easily and make it look easy. If you look like you are trying hard to be good enough, you'll sound like that, and trying hard to be good enough is still not good enough.



Just relax and have it down to make it look easy.
I am VERY familiar with Phantom and I honestly think there are more emotional songs than Think of Me. TOM is kinda a coming of age song, but only has a few highs and lows. I'm sure you can sing it very well, but as an audition song I wouldn't use it in a professional session.



Aside from wishing - Maybe you can try the female part to Point of No Return or All I ask of you, just change the pronouns.



I heard this amazing solo version of all I ask of you that just made me cry.



Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd